Today I woke early to a wintry morning and, for the first time this season, ran while the snow fell. Big wet snowflakes. If this wasn't a first for the season, then at least it was the most memorable run thus far. I dressed warm - maybe too warm - anticipating the single-digit temperature, pulled B. out of bed and out the door we went, donning our Yaktrax. The sky was bright with light despite the complete cloud cover at sunrise. The trails were bedded with three inches or so of fluffy powder and we made first tracks! I was pleased to be wearing my Yaktrax. Funny thing about those little devils: About halfway through the run I suddenly found myself jerked head over heels to the ground, smashing both knees against rocks, sending mittens (that were in-hand but not on, thanks to my overdressing) across the trail eventually to be found buried in the fresh powder. What a fall! When I straightened myself out I saw that my shoelace was untied. Confused and stunned that a simple untied lace could pull me down with such force I started collecting my things and brushing off my snow-covered clothes. As it turns out, one of my Yaktrax broke and the metal wire stuck straight out from my left shoe and tugged on my right shoelace which was the cause of the fall. Ouch.
B. had been running ahead of me before the fall and didn't realize I had tripped. It took a minute or two to gather myself and rig up my Yaktrax to make sure I wouldn't trip again. He waited at the turn off wondering what became of me and I caught up after a few minutes and pouted for a bit. Really, I was happy that I wasn't injured and glad for the few inches of snow to cushion my fall. We finished the run cursing the snow-covered ice (quite cheerfully I might add) and slip-sliding downhill on one-leg or the other.
All in all, a good run. No injuries, an OK-feeling arch afterward and a happy Byrd dog.
Total:
Running: 30 minutes
Monday, February 8, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment