Friday, January 1, 2010

Day 1: 01/01/2010

Over the last few months my training as come to a screeching hault. For a number of reasons, I found myself going days and days without exercise but things have settled down and I can afford more time for training. I decided to take an online course this semester to give myself more time for the things I want to be doing - running, hiking, yoga, etc. Night class and a busy work schedule made it very difficult for me to find enough time for training. I think this online course (and not to mention how much easier the course will be - genetics vs. organic chemistry) is the perfect solution. So this blog is really a diary of my journey back to fitness!

It was a beautiful, blue sky day in Boulder today. I checked the weather early and saw that the temperature would reach mid-40's by 2pm and decided to wait to exercise. Ben and I thought about taking a hike today, but he's not feeling well and is a bit sluggish so I went for a run instead. I chose to run part of the Bluestem trail (the whole trail is about 8 miles from home). I walked to the trailhead near the house and started off. Originally, I left with the intention of running up Bluestem to the Mesa trail and back around to the Shanahan loop, but once I started the climb to the base of the foothills, I realized that it would be silly of me to jump into a hill-climb run this early in the game. I'm looking to avoid injuries so instead I continued on Bluestem. I ran for 41 minutes and decided that was enough for the day. I maintained a good pace the whole way through. My goal for increasing my training is to keep a pace between 8-9 minute-miles and slowly build up my weekly miles. Of course, I have to consider that a lot of my runs have a significant hill climb in them, so I'll keep that in mind if I don't hit my intended pace. On this run I was slowed a bit by the snow and ice. I used yaktrax, though which helped some.

I plan to run every day this weekend, and if I can average about 5 miles every day I'll be happy.

Total: ~5 miles View my run

I'll start a weekly mileage count next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment