Today I returned home from the Springs around 1pm. The day was warm and beautiful but I chose to stay inside instead of enjoying the great outdoors because the Packers were playing. :) I biked for 45 minutes on the trainer. This time I did some intervals (3 minutes with a HR around 180-190) to break up the monotony. Boy am I out of shape, but still, it really does feel good to pour sweat once in a while.
Originally when I started this blog I had myself convinced that it would be a running diary - I mean the name of the url is a dead giveaway of my expectations. I guess that's my "collegiate athlete" side coming out assuming that my life is all about running. Over the last few years, I have evolved, in a sense, and so has my training. And for that change, I am a much healthier person! No longer do I have those seasonal colds and yearly strep cases or that blasted anemia problem. In fact, I'm rarely sick enough to even miss a day or two of work each year! I have to admit that despite the fact that I can see I'm no longer the "runner" I used to be as I've incorporated different forms of activity into my life, I have a hard time letting myself be OK with that truth. I loved having that label and I still want to be considered part of that runner crowd. I guess this is the reason why I stopped racing. I chose not to devote my life to training (running) and my prideful self just won't allow me to race when I'm not in true racing form. I know that this is something I need to change. What am I trying to prove? Who am I trying to prove it to? Deep down I know these answers and the tough part is moving past them. I will always see myself as a runner-at-heart, but there is so much more out there that I love doing and chose to experience.
So in working on myself in all fashions - physically, mentally, emotionally - I'll use this blog to record my training. Any training. And I'll learn to be happy with my accomplishments. I'm switching my "Total" to minutes of activity rather than miles. I've never logged my activity by minutes since we used mileage in college, so maybe it will help to ease me into accepting my training as good enough.
This week:
Running: 75 minutes
Biking: 85 minutes
Hiking: 240 minutes
Rest days: 2
Monday, January 11, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment