I left Denver around 4pm armed with a snack and some water so I was ready to run as soon as I arrived home. The temperature had been 50 degrees and the skies were brilliantly clear all day long. Most of the day I hoped that I could sneak out of work early enough to run before the fading light, but the days are quite long enough for me to make that happen yet - but they're close! I was out the door at dusk and hit the roads. I was surprised by how much snow and ice were left over even after a few days of warmer temperatures and bright sunshine.
My route started down Cripple Creek and then headed north on Lehigh. I took my usual neighborhood route around to meet back at Greenbriar and finally up the hill toward home. The route took 37 minutes - probably 4.5 miles. When I have a bit more time I will map it so I know for certain. Today, I felt awesome! I think my body was able to warm to the pace early as I started off downhill for a good mile or two. By the time I started climbing home, the run was over halfway finished. I found myself thinking "holy crap, I'm already up the hill!" I hadn't even noticed the climb - probably too busy thinking of what to say here. ;) I'm happy to report that I've made it through the initial pain of returning to training. Pat on the back deserved.
Some highlights:
- the feeling of being back in shape!!!
- the perfect 40 degrees
- the fading light behind the foothills
- the still air
- the man with a headlamp and the dog by his side, making laps around the high school track (can't say that I haven't considered it myself!)
- finishing my run knowing next time I will run longer (time) and further (distance) and knowing that's OK with my body
Total:
Run: 37 minutes
Monday, January 11, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment